⭐ NY Online Gambling
New York online gambling is welcoming players! After passing a mobile sports betting law, the Empire State prepared for the online sports betting launch in 2021. Residents have been able to place sports bets since January 8, 2022. However, the licensing process limits options to nine, and the high tax rates of 51% might reduce promotions.
No online gambling law has been passed for legal online casinos in New York, but since New Jersey is taking a significant amount of New York tax dollars via online casinos, a full-blown NY gambling legalization is in the works. For now, New York casino players have to visit New York casinos in person or check out sweepstakes casinos.
⭐ New York Sports Betting
Sports betting sites did not welcome New York sports betting bill with open arms, but several operators applied for a license. Two bids with a combined total of nine sports betting operators and the platform provider Kambi won the licenses and began launching betting sites. Sports betting online is overseen by New York State Gaming Commission. The following NY mobile sports betting operators are now live with their mobile sportsbooks.
|Sportsbook App||Sportsbook Bonus for New Users||Bonus Codes|
|FanDuel NY Sportsbook||$1,000 No Sweat First Bet||Use Link|
|Caesars Sportsbook NY||Go Full Caesar up to $1,250||FINDERFULL|
|DraftKings Sportsbook NY||$1,000 Deposit Match||Use Link|
|BetRivers NY Sportsbook||$100 Second Chance Bet||FINDER|
|BetMGM NY Sportsbook||No Bonus||TBA|
|PointsBet NY||$250 Second Chance Offer||Use Link|
|WynnBET NY||Make a $50 4+ Leg Parlay and Get $10 Bet Credit||XFINDWYNN|
|Resorts World Sportsbook||No Bonus||TBA|
|Bally Bet||No Bonus||TBA|
Mobile Sports Betting Legalization
Former Governor Cuomo agreed to support NY sports betting legislation in early 2021 after months of resistance, but the end result is not the most progressive out of the online gambling states. Operators must partner with one of the four commercial casinos to support their servers and pay the casinos $5 million annually and $25 million licensing fee. The tax on sports betting revenue is 51%, which stands out head and shoulders above other states. The state received several applications and chose the major players; New York bettors can choose from nine legal online sportsbooks.
Retail Sports Betting
New York residents can visit several land-based casinos which host sportsbooks, in addition to betting online. Most casinos offer a retail sportsbook, and many have existing relationships with the online providers. Some casinos that offer retail betting are Akwesasne Mohawk Casino, Resorts World Catskills, Rivers Casino & Resort, Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino and the Yellow Brick Road Casino.
⭐ New York Online Casinos
Commercial casinos and tribal casinos in New York are legal, and now there is an attempt to legalize real money online casino games. Online gaming could include NY online casino operators in the future like in neighboring state NJ. Some of the legal NY sports betting apps also run the best online casinos, so we hope New York’s lawmakers realize a casino gaming industry soon.
Brick and Mortar Casinos in NY
There are several retail casinos, as well as racinos, in the state of New York. While all offer slots, some also offer retail sportsbooks, table games, and poker. Since NY online casino games are not yet legal, people wishing to play games need to travel to one of the following locations in upstate New York.
|Akwesasne Mohawk Casino||Hogansburg||Yes||Yes|
|Batavia Downs Casino||Batavia||No||No|
|del Lago Casino Resort||Waterloo||Yes||Yes|
|The Fairgrounds Gaming||Hamburg||No||No|
|Finger Lakes Gaming & Race Track||Farmington||No||No|
|Jack's 58 Casino & Hotel||Islandia||No||No|
|Lakeside Entertainment||Union Springs||No||No|
|Point Place Casino||Bridgeport||Yes||No|
|Resorts World Catskills||Monticello||Yes||Yes|
|Resorts World New York City||Ozone Park||No||No|
|Rivers Casino & Resort||Schenectady||Yes||Yes|
|Saratoga Casino Hotel||Saratoga Springs||No||No|
|Seneca Allegany Casino||Salamanca||Yes||Yes|
|Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino||Buffalo||Yes||No|
|Seneca Niagara Casino||Niagara Falls||Yes||Yes|
|Tioga Downs Casino & Resort||Nichols||Yes||Yes|
|Turning Stone Casino||Verona||Yes||Yes|
|Vernon Downs & Casino||Vernon||No||No|
|Yellow Brick Road Casino||Chittenango||Yes||No|
|Empire City Casino at Yonkers Raceway||Yonkers||No||No|
Although none of the top online casinos work yet in New York as legal casino sites, below are the options we might see when New York state legislators legalize online casinos. The best social casinos, like Chumba Casino, offer table games, slots and even live dealer games, but you don’t win real money when you play online on these sites.
- Online slots (incl. jackpot & penny slots)
- Online blackjack (incl. French & classic blackjack)
- Live dealer games (blackjack, roulette, baccarat, craps)
- Mississippi Stud
- Texas Hold’em
- Online roulette like American roulette
- Video poker games
New York Online Poker
Online poker, like the online casino niche, is not yet legal in New York. Four tribal casinos and four commercial casinos offer a live poker room in New York, including del Lago Resort & Casino and Turning Stone Resort & Casino. That is hardly enough for avid poker fans. We hope that the state legislature reconsiders and allows a poker room online in New York.
⭐ Horse Racing
Online horse betting is completely legal in New York. You can participate in simulcast betting at several racinos. There are some famous horse races and race tracks like the Belmont Park where the Belmont Stakes is raced as a part of the Triple Crown, and the Aqueduct Racetrack in New York. They even have their own horse betting platform NYRA (New York Racing Association). Platforms like TwinSpires and TVG Racebook have access to the NY horse betting market as well.
⭐ Daily Fantasy Sports
DFS are also operational in New York, but the journey has been rocky. After a year-long legal battle between the state and the daily fantasy sports industry’s largest operators, Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill into law on August 3, 2016, allowing DFS sites to serve New Yorkers. The law has since been challenged in multiple levels of the court system, and there is currently no clear resolution. DFS sites have been able operate during this time. With the legalization of the New York mobile betting operation, it seems fantasy sports are here to stay.
⭐ Timeline for NY Sports Wagering
New York now has legal online sports betting, as the first operators launched in early January 2022. Residents can start to gamble online on their favorite books now. State legislators wasted no time in their pursuit of legal sports betting in New York and handed out 9 betting license approvals in 2021.
- July 7, 2022: Bally Bet also launches in NY.
- March 3, 2022: Resorts World goes live.
- February 4, 2022: WynnBET goes live; only two New York sportsbooks are waiting to launch online.
- January 24, 2022: PointsBet launches next with their gambling site; six sportsbooks are now open. WynnBET is for sale at $500 million, leaving their NY launch up in the air.
- January 17, 2022: BetMGM launch their sportsbook site in New York on Saturday; the first weekend of sports betting in NY sets records even with high tax rates.
- January 8, 2022: Four sportsbooks (Caesars, FanDuel, BetRivers, and DraftKings) launch their betting apps and the New York online sports betting market at 9 A.M. The other NY sportsbooks will be approved for launch as they fulfill the requirements.
- Winter 2021: Approved operators begin to prepare to launch their sportsbooks in the biggest market in the US during the NFL playoffs; Sen. Addabbo hopes for a uniform start date.
- November 2021: The two winning bids are announced; FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM & Bally Bet, as well as Kambi, Caesars, Resorts World, PointsBet, WynnBET, & BetRivers are approved for NY online sports betting. Sports betting operators like FOX Bet and Barstool Sportsbook did not receive a sports betting license.
- October 2021: The New York Gaming Commission releases a taxation plan that must be approved by operators looking to be licensed; with 5 sportsbooks, the tax rate would be 64%.
- August 2021: The New York State Gaming Commission announces the six bids it received for betting licenses. All major sportsbook operators have applied to one of the biggest markets in the U.S.
- April 2021: Gov. Cuomo signs the sports betting bill into law. Operators who wish to join the NY sports betting market must cough up $25 million for license fees, $5 million for server housing at one of the commercial casinos, and up to 51% of their revenues as tax to the state.
- March 2021: New York’s State Assembly releases proposed New York state budget that includes new legislation on online sports betting for tax revenue.
- January 2021: Gov. Andrew Cuomo announces he will include annual revenue from mobile betting into his state budget proposals, in a stunning reversal of his previous statements on making online gambling legal. Online casino gaming is not mentioned. State Sen. Joseph Addabbo Jr. and Assemblyman Gary Pretlow present matching bills S 1183 and A 1257 to the General Assembly to begin legislating online wagering.
- June 2019: Retail sports betting begins in New York.
- May 2018: The US Supreme Court effectively ends the federal ban on online gambling options.
- August 2016: DFS is legalized by the New York legislature, but legal action is taken in multiple courts.
- 1967: The state lottery begins selling lottery tickets, the first form of gambling in New York.
Last updated: 04/26/2023
1️⃣ Are NY online casinos legal?
At the moment, online casino gambling is not legal in New York. Online casino sites and mobile casino apps are available in neighboring states New Jersey and Connecticut, but NY casinos are limited to land-based options and sites where you can play games for free. As the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement has licensed all the best casinos you can find online, New York players have plenty to choose from for a great casino experience.
2️⃣ Can I play casino games in New York?
Several commercial and tribal casinos in New York offer live dealer table games, slot machines, video poker, and poker rooms, as well as keno and bingo. You are currently limited to land based casinos as gambling online is allowed on NY sportsbook apps only. Some sites offer free play if you wish to check out games like slots and video poker.
To play slots on real money online casinos, you still need to cross the state lines to nearby New Jersey, Connecticut, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, as New York's casinos aren't allowed to operate online (yet). We don't recommend playing on offshore casinos as they don't adhere to responsible gambling regulations. In addition, offshore sites are not as diligent about honoring online banking or welcome bonuses for online casino players.
3️⃣ Is sports betting legal in New York?
Yes. You can place sports bets on online sportsbooks, and at retail sportsbooks in several tribal casinos, race tracks, and commercial casinos in New York. You must be at least 21 years old to participate in sports betting, as it is the legal gambling age in New York.
When using the sports book apps, you must be physically located inside state lines to place wagers, and it'll be verified with geolocation software.
4️⃣ What can I bet on in NY sports betting?
Betting markets include all major US sports and smaller events. New York City favorites New York Yankees, Brooklyn Nets, New York Giants, New York Mets, New York Rangers, and New York Jets are all fair game online and at the retail locations. In-state colleges are not; otherwise you can bet on college sports like March Madness. Many teams have partnered with the legal books; for example, BetMGM is the official sports betting partner of Madison Square Garden.
5️⃣ Can I get welcome bonus offers for sports betting?
Yes, following your first deposit or wager, all books provide some bonuses for new players to take advantage of. Matched deposits and risk free bets are the most common; just deposit funds and place bets according to the T&Cs. If you need a promo code, you can find it on BonusFinder USA. You don't need to be a New York resident to sign up!
Some sites also have a rewards program and monthly promotions with different themes for existing players, and they hand out site credits or bonus cash after you place a certain number of wagers, bet on big games, or are active for a certain time period. Currently you might find a NBA playoffs promo on many sites!
6️⃣ How do I sign up for a casino and sportsbook online in NY?
To register on all legal options for the first time, you have to provide some personal details, such as full name, home address, and last four digits of your Social Security Number. Then, you'll need to make an initial deposit with the available online banking options, such as bank transfers and credit cards. One thing to keep in mind is that some financial institutions don't allow transactions for gambling activities. Now you're ready to claim your new user bonus and get started, just click play. Of course, the live casino side is not open on New York gambling sites.