⭐ NY Online Gambling
New York online gambling is welcoming players! After passing a mobile sports betting law, the Empire State began to prepare for the online sports betting launch. Residents have been able to place sports bets since January 8, 2022. However, the licensing process limits options to nine, and the super high tax rate at 51% might reduce promotions the books hand out.
No online gambling law has been planned for online casinos in New York, but with New Jersey still taking a significant amount of New York tax dollars via online casinos, full-blown gambling legalization could be in the works. Let’s see what New York has going on at the moment.
⭐ New York Online Sports Betting
New York sports betting bill was not something that online sports betting sites welcomed with open arms, but several operators applied for a license. In the end, two bids with a combined total of nine sports betting operators and the platform provider Kambi won the licenses and began launching betting sites. Online sports betting is overseen by New York State Gaming Commission. The following NY mobile sports betting operators are now live or in the process of launching their mobile sportsbooks.
|Sportsbook App||Sportsbook Bonus||Bonus Codes||Launch Date|
|FanDuel NY Sportsbook||$1,000 Risk Free Bet||Use Link||Jan 8, 2022|
|Caesars Sportsbook NY||$1,500 Deposit Match||FINDERCZR||Jan 8, 2022|
|DraftKings Sportsbook NY||$1,000 Deposit Match||Use Link||Jan 8, 2022|
|Rush Street Interactive (BetRivers NY)||$250 Deposit Match||250MATCH||Jan 8, 2022|
|BetMGM NY Sportsbook||$1,000 Risk Free Bet||BONUSMGM||Jan 17, 2022|
|PointsBet NY||$2,000 Risk Free Bets||BONUS2000||Jan 24, 2022|
|Bally Bet||$550 Risk Free Bet||TBA||TBA|
|Resorts World||$250 Risk Free Bet||TBA||TBA|
|WynnBET NY||$1,000 Risk Free Bet||N/A||TBA|
Mobile Sports Betting Legalization
Former Governor Andrew Cuomo agreed to support NY sports betting legislation in early 2021 after months of resistance, but the end result is not the most progressive out of the online gambling states. Operators must partner with one of the four commercial casinos to support their servers and pay the casinos $5 million annually, in addition to the $25 million licensing fee. In addition, the tax rate is a whopping 51%, which stands out head and shoulders above other states. However, the state received several applications and chose (unsurprisingly) the major players from the crowd. Bettors can expect the all online sportsbooks to be up and running soon, potentially by the end of January 2022.
Applicants that did not receive licenses:
- Kambi, Penn National, Fanatics: This cooperation was a mixed bag led by a platform provider Kambi, joined by the owners of the sports betting renegade Barstool Sportsbook and an apparel maker supported by Jay-Z.
- FOX Bet, bet365, TheScore: All three submitted individual primary applications for New York online sports betting, with bet365 being the closest to winning.
Retail Sports Betting
New York residents can also visit several land-based casinos that host sportsbooks, in addition to online sports betting. Both tribal casinos and commercial casinos offer sports betting, and many have existing relationships with the online providers. Some of the casinos that offer retail betting are Akwesasne Mohawk Casino, Resorts World Catskills, Rivers Casino & Resort, Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino and the Yellow Brick Road Casino.
⭐ New York Online Casinos
Although commercial casinos and tribal casinos in New York are legal, there has been no talk of legalizing real money online casino games or online poker. However, now that NY online sports betting is legalized, online gaming could include NY online casino operators in the future.
Brick and Mortar Casinos in NY
There are several commercial and tribal casinos, as well as racinos in the state of New York. While all offer slots and most also table games, some also offer retail sportsbooks and poker rooms. Since online casino games are not yet legal, people wishing to play need to travel to one of the following locations.
|Akwesasne Mohawk Casino||Hogansburg||Yes||Yes|
|Batavia Downs Casino||Batavia||No||No|
|del Lago Casino Resort||Waterloo||Yes||Yes|
|The Fairgrounds Gaming||Hamburg||No||No|
|Finger Lakes Gaming & Race Track||Farmington||No||No|
|Jack's 58 Casino & Hotel||Islandia||No||No|
|Lakeside Entertainment||Union Springs||No||No|
|Point Place Casino||Bridgeport||Yes||No|
|Resorts World Catskills||Monticello||Yes||Yes|
|Resorts World New York City||Ozone Park||No||No|
|Rivers Casino & Resort||Schenectady||Yes||Yes|
|Saratoga Casino Hotel||Saratoga Springs||No||No|
|Seneca Allegany Casino||Salamanca||Yes||Yes|
|Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino||Buffalo||Yes||No|
|Seneca Niagara Casino||Niagara Falls||Yes||Yes|
|Tioga Downs Casino||Nichols||Yes||Yes|
|Turning Stone Resort & Casino||Verona||Yes||Yes|
|Vernon Downs & Casino||Vernon||No||No|
|Yellow Brick Road Casino||Chittenango||Yes||No|
|Empire City Casino at Yonkers Raceway||Yonkers||No||No|
New York Online Poker
Online poker is not yet legal in New York. However, four tribal casinos and four commercial casinos offer live poker rooms in New York, including del Lago Resort & Casino and Turning Stone Resort & Casino. However, with population of 20 million, that is hardly enough for avid poker fans. We hope that the state legislature reconsiders and allows online poker in New York soon.
⭐ Horse Racing
Online horse betting is completely legal in New York. There are even some famous horse races and race tracks like the Aqueduct Racetrack in New York, and the Belmont Park where the Belmont Stakes is raced as a part of the Triple Crown. They even have their own horse betting platform NYRA (New York Racing Association). This also gives platforms like TwinSpires and TVG Racebook an access to the NY horse betting market.
⭐ Daily Fantasy Sports
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) are also operational in New York, although the journey has been rocky. After a year-long legal battle between the state and the daily fantasy sports industry’s largest operators, Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill into law on August 3, 2016, allowing DFS sites to serve New Yorkers. However, the law has since been challenged in multiple levels of the court system, and there is currently no clear resolution. DFS sites have been able operate during this time, and with the legalization of the New York mobile betting operation, it seems likely that fantasy sports are here to stay in NY.
⭐ Timeline for NY Online Betting
New York now has legal online sports betting, as the first operators launched in early January 2022. The rest are expected to go live prior to the Super Bowl 2022, so NY bettors can start choosing their favorite books now. While it’s taken some time to get the ball rolling on online betting license approvals, state legislators wasted no time in their pursuit of legal sports betting in New York.
- Jan 24, 2022: PointsBet launches next with their site; WynnBET might be for sale at $500 million, leaving their NY launch up in the air.
- Jan 17, 2022: BetMGM launch their sportsbook site in New York.
- Jan 8, 2022: Caesars, FanDuel, BetRivers, and DraftKings all launch their betting apps and the New York online sports betting market; the other NY sportsbooks will be approved for launch as they fulfill the requirements.
- Winter 2021: Approved operators begin to prepare to launch their sportsbooks in time for Super Bowl 2022.
- Nov 8, 2021: Two winning bids are announced; FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM & Bally Bet, as well as Kambi, Caesars, Resorts, PointsBet, WynnBET, & BetRivers are approved for NY online sports betting. Sports betting operators like FOX Bet and Barstool Sportsbook did not receive a sports betting license.
- Nov 2, 2021: Sports betting news leak that the two biggest bidding groups will win licenses and the announcement will be made soon.
- Oct 19, 2021: New York State Gaming Commission releases taxation plan that must be approved by operators looking to be licensed; with 5 sportsbooks, the tax rate would be 64%.
- Aug 9, 2021: New York State Gaming Commission announces the six bids it received for online betting licenses; all major sportsbook operators have applied for access to one of the biggest markets in the U.S.
- July 9, 2021: Request for applications launched, operators now have 30 days to submit applications.
- Apr 19, 2021: Gov. Cuomo signs the sports betting bill into law. Operators who wish to join the NY market must cough up $25 million for a license, $5 million for server housing at one of the commercial casinos, and up to 51% of their revenues as tax to the state.
- Mar, 2021: New York State Assembly releases proposed budget that includes online sports betting.
- Jan 7, 2021: Sen. Joe Addabbo Jr. and Assemblyman Gary Pretlow present joint bill S 1183 and A 1257 to begin legislating online wagering.
- Jan 6, 2021: Gov. Andrew Cuomo announces he will include mobile betting revenue into his budget proposals, in a stunning reversal of his previous statements on the issue.
- June 2019: Retail sports betting begins in New York.
- Aug 2016: Daily Fantasy Sports legalized in State Legislature, but is challenged in multiple courts.
- 1️⃣ What legal gambling options does New York have online?
- 2️⃣ Is sports betting legal in New York?
- 3️⃣ Can I play casino games in New York?
- 4️⃣ What can I bet on in NY sports betting?