⭐ AZ Online Gambling 2021
The Grand Canyon State legalized retail and online sports betting in April 2021 with HB 2772. The law also confirmed the legal status of Daily Fantasy Sports and Keno. However, there have been no talks of legalizing online casino gambling or online poker as of now. With close proximity to Nevada and 23 tribal casinos, AZ residents will have to settle for land-based casinos for a while.
- The state of Arizona was a surprise and welcome addition to the growing tribe of online sports betting states in the US.
- Post-PASPA, it was believed that iGaming and online sports betting would arrive in the state sooner or later. What was unexpected is that the process was back on track after getting derailed as negotiations between Gov Ducey and tribals continued for some time.
- Not much progress happened with Arizona gaming legislation discussions because tribal operator casinos were opposed to expansion of wagering opportunities for non-tribal interests. At the same time, the tribes wanted to negotiate because they also wanted to expand their gaming opportunities to include casino gaming like roulette and craps in existing facilities.
- Eventually, all stakeholders realized that it was beneficial for all parties that an agreement was reached. An elaborate signing ceremony happened on April 15, 2021.
Read on to find out what sports and events will be available for legal gambling on the internet for Arizona sports betting.
⭐ Arizona Sports Betting Sites
The Arizona Department of Gaming will grant 20 AZ sportsbooks licenses in the state. 10 licenses will be granted to operators partnering with professional sports franchises or stadiums and 10 licenses to operators partnering with tribal casinos. Currently, 11 operators have entered the market, which is set to go live on September 9th.
|Arizona Sports Betting Site||LAND-BASED PARTNER||Expected Bonus|
|BetMGM AZ||Arizona Cardinals (NFL) & Gila River Hotels & Casinos||$1,000 Risk Free ($200 in free bets no deposit pre launch offer)|
|DraftKings||Waste Management Open / PGA Tour||$1,000 Deposit Bonus|
|FanDuel||Phoenix Suns||$1,000 Risk Free|
|Caesars||Arizona Diamondbacks /Ak-Chin Indian Community||$5,000 Risk Free|
|WynnBET AZ||San Carlos Apache Tribe||$1,000 Risk Free|
|TwinSpires||Tonto Apache Tribe||$1,000 Risk Free|
|Barstool Sportsbook||Phoenix Raceway||$1,000 Risk Free|
|Unibet||Quechan Tribe of the Fort Yuma Indian Reservation||$500 Risk Free|
|Bally Bet||Phoenix Mercury||TBD|
|Betfred||Ft. McDowell Yavapai Nation||TBD|
|Betway||San Juan Southern Palute Tribe||TBD|
|Fubo Gaming||Ak-Chin Indian Community||TBD|
|Golden Nugget||Hualapai Tribe||TBD|
|SuperBook||Fort Mojave Indian Tribe||TBD|
|BetRivers AZ||Indoor Football League s Arizona Rattlers||TBD|
While the ADG announced 18 license winners, only 15 Arizona sportsbooks partners are known until late August 2021. PointsBet, MaximBet and BlueBet are some of the biggest ommissions so far. PointsBET had partnered with Yavapi-Apache Nation. Sports bettors can soon start claiming risk free bets or bet on Arizona Diamondbacks on legal sportsbook apps in Arizona.
Arizona Sports Betting Markets
So, what are your bet options in the copper state? The term ‘market’ here refers to types of possible bets on various sports. Once there is a game, the online sportsbook in the state will have all possible betting options for you. From the super bowl to a game of Diamondbacks, you can bet on possible outcomes. Live, in-game betting will also be possible. Moneyline, Futures, Over/under, Parlays, Proposition bets, Spread, live betting will be some of your options. You can also expect a lot of odds boosts and other sportsbook promotions in the state for online betting.
⭐ Arizona Online Casinos
Arizona does not have legal online casinos. The new tribal compact and state law that legalized Arizona betting does not include real money online casinos. Like many other states, Arizona considers all gambling is illegal until or unless defined by a new law or statute.
Land Based Casinos
However, if you want to play table games, slot machines, or poker in Arizona, you have plenty of opportunities. Arizona casinos have 23 tribal casinos offering casino games, and slot machines. Some Arizona casinos even have poker rooms.
|Apache Gold Casino Resort||777 Geronimo Springs Blvd, San Carlos, AZ 85550||San Carlos Apache Tribe||Yes|
|Apache Sky Casino||777 Apache Sky Blvd. Winkelman, AZ 85192||San Carlos Apache Tribe||Yes|
|Blue Water Resort & Casino||11300 Resort Dr, Parker AZ 85344||Colorado River Indian Tribes (C.R.I.T.)||No|
|Buckys Casino||1500 AZ-69, Prescott AZ 86301||Yavapai-Prescott Indian Tribe||Yes|
|Casino Arizona||524 N 92nd St, Scottsdale, AZ 85256||Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community||Yes|
|Casino Del Sol||5655 W Valencia Rd, Tucson, Az 85757||Pascua Yaqui Tribe||Yes|
|Casino of the Sun||7406 S Camino De Oeste, Tucson, AZ 85746||Pascua Yaqui Tribe||Yes|
|Cliff Castle Casino Hotel||555 W Middle Verde Rd, Camp Verde, AZ 86322||Yavapai-Apache Nation||Yes|
|Cocopah Casino||15318 S Avenue B, Somerton, AZ 85350||Cocopah Indian Tribe||No|
|Desert Diamond Casino & Hotel||7350 S. Nogales Hwy, Tucson, AZ 85756||Tohono O odham Nation||Yes|
|Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment||1100 W Pima Mine Rd, Sahuarita, AZ 85629||Tohono O odham Nation||No|
|Desert Diamond Casino||9431 W Northern Ave, Glendale, AZ 85305||Tohono O odham Nation||Yes|
|Desert Diamond Casino||Hwy. 86, Mile Post 55, Why, AZ 85321||Tohono O odham Nation||No|
|Harrahs Ak-Chin Casino||15406 N Maricopa Rd, Maricopa, AZ 85139||Ak-Chin Indian Community||Yes|
|Hon Dah Casino||777 AZ-260, Pinetop, AZ 85935||White Mountain Apache Tribe (W.M.A.T.)||Yes|
|Lone Butte Casino||1077 S Kyrene Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226||Gila River Indian Community||Yes|
|Mazatzal Casino||Highway 87, Mile Marker 251, Payson, AZ 85541||Tonto Apache Tribe||No|
|Paradise Casino||450 Quechan Dr, Yuma, AZ 85364||Quechan Indian Tribe||No|
|Spirit Mountain Casino||8555 AZ-95, Mohave Valley, AZ 86440||Fort Mojave Indian Tribe||Yes|
|Talking Stick Resort||9800 Talking Stick Way, Scottsdale, AZ 85256||Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community||Yes|
|Twin Arrows Casino||22181 Resort Blvd, Flagstaff, AZ 86004||Navajo Nation||Yes|
|Vee Quiva Hotel & Casino||15091 South Komatke Lane, Laveen Village, AZ 85339||Gila River Indian Community||Yes|
|We-Ko-Pa Casino||10438 WeKoPa Way, Fort McDowell, AZ 85264||Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation||Yes|
|Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino||5040 Wild Horse Pass Blvd, Chandler, AZ 85226||Gila River Indian Community||Yes|
|Yavapai Gaming Center||1505 AZ-69, Prescott, AZ 86303||Yavapai-Prescott Indian Tribe||No|
Tribal Land and Casinos in Arizona
The Grand Canyon State has more tribal land compared to any other state in America. About 27 per cent of Arizona’s land base is tribal lands. That is more than 20 million acres of land.
- As per the Arizona Indian Gaming Association (AIGA) data, 16 Tribes operate 24 class III casinos in AZ.
- 6 Tribes do not have casinos. But they have slot machine rights leasted to other tribes with casinos.
- The organization ‘Arizona Indian Gaming Association’ promotes Tribal Gaming to benefit Tribes and all of Arizona state.
- Tribal Gaming has generated over $1 billion in total revenues to Arizona since 2002. The shared revenue for the ‘Arizona Benefits Funds’ helps education, health and community welfare in the state.
⭐ Other Legal Gambling Options in Arizona
In addition to legal sports betting and land based gambling at tribes’ casinos, there are some other forms of legal online gaming as well in Arizona.
Daily Fantasy Sports
HB 2772 also confirmed the legality of DFS contests in Arizona. Operators such as DraftKings and FanDuel will be able to offer their daily fantasy sports platforms alongside their legal sports betting apps. However, the fate of smaller operators, such as Monkey Knife Fight or Yahoo! Sports remains unclear, although the Arizona Department of Gaming has not set an upper limit for the number of DFS licenses in the state.
One interesting addition to legalizing sports betting and DFS was legalizing state-wide online keno as well. Arizona residents can now play Keno electrically from anywhere within the state. No plans for launching online keno have been published yet though.
Horse Racing Betting
Horse racing betting is available through designated horse racing platforms such as TVG or TwinSpires. In addition, residents can bet on horses at off-track-betting parlors or at one of the three tracks located within the state. Horse racing is also available at county fairs.
Online Lottery Draw Games
Arizonians have always been able to participate in state and interstate lotteries. With the new tribal compact, they are now able to participate in lottery draw games online as well. These games have not yet been launched and no live date is set yet.
⭐ AZ Rules and Regulations
As with all states, Arizona imposes regulations on gambling. In order to take part in any sort of online gaming, you must be located within Arizona state lines. Furthermore, you need to abide by the following age limits.
|AZ Internet Gambling Event||Age Limit (years)|
|Legal Sports Betting||21+|
|Daily Fantasy Sports||21+|
Sports Betting Rules
Unlike some other states, Arizona does not restrict betting on in-state college teams, which is great news, as you can bet on the Wildcats men’s basketball team. However, you can’t place prop bets on college events or athletes. Furthermore, bets on esports, injuries, penalties, and high school events are prohibited. Despite the limitations, you have plenty of legal sports betting opportunities.
Road to legal Arizona sports betting
The signing of Sports BEtting Bill 2772 and amended Tribal-State Gaming Compacts has made sports betting legal in the state. It directs the Arizona Department of Gaming (ADG) to adopt rules and act as the regulator and enforcement body for event wagering and fantasy sports.
- Arizona sports betting endeavours have come a long way from being in negotiations to finalization and execution. There have been turbulent times during the evolution of legislation when even a typo almost derailed the development.
- Legal sports betting legislation was first introduced in 2019. But it could not garner enough support and faced pressure and opposition from the tribes in the copper state.
- In the post-PASPA era, it was believed that Arizona sports betting legislation would see the light of the day sooner than later. Established tribal casinos, in particular, were initially cold to the idea of regulated sports betting on the internet competiting for the gambling revenue in the state.
- The situation rapidly changed in times of the global crisis. Travel and tourism was hit, state revenue went down, and unemployment rose.
- Governor Doug Ducey and other leaders and tribal casino operators were eager to have more revenue streams in the Grand Canyon State.
- Legal, regulated online sports betting in Arizona was an idea whose time had come. Keeping in with the general sports betting industry growth in various US states, Arizona had to legalize online betting sooner or later.
- The sports betting bill signing ceremony took place on 15 April 2021 in the Heard Museum, Central Phoenix. Apart from Gov. Doug Ducey, it was attended by the leaders of Arizona tribes who signed the new compacts.
- The tribal casinos in Arizona have been limited in their gambling offerings so far. They will now make quite a jump and would be able to offer Las Vegas style gambling for Arizonans.
- Arizona gambling laws will allow popular teams like the Arizona Coyotes, Arizona Diamondbacks and Arizona Cardinals to run sports betting operations at their respective venues. They will also be able to offer betting at a retail location in a quarter mile and online.
- There was some debate on why the lucrative licenses were being given to pro sports teams only (and not to small businesses and other bidders). It was argued that pro sports teams were chosen as they have deep, long-term ties to the state of Arizona. Outside bidders for the licenses would not have those ties to the Grand Canyon State.
- The enabling Arizona legislation allows for 20 betting licenses in the state. 10 of these are reserved for Arizona Tribes, and 10 are reserved for an “owner of an Arizona professional sports team or franchise, operator of a sports facility that hosts an annual tournament on the PGA Tour, the promoter of a national association for stock car auto racing national touring race in Arizona or the owner’s, operator’s or promoter’s designee.”
Arizona Department of Gaming
ADG was established by the state legislature in 1995. It is the regulatory agency of the state for tribal gaming, racing and pari-mutuel or simulcast wagering, and unarmed combat sports. It also supports education and treatment initiatives for people and families affected by problem gambling in the copper state. All sports betting licenses, online sports betting launch, and operators are vetted by the Arizona Department of Gaming. They also have a 24-hour confidential helpline 1-800-NEXT-STEP for responsible gaming where problem gamers can call and seek counsel.
- Are online casinos legal in Arizona?
- Is online poker legal in AZ?
- What is the legal gambling age in Arizona?