⭐ WV Online Sports Betting
- In June 2018, the Supreme Court struck down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA). A few months later, the first legal betting site in West Virginia online gambling was live.
- While WV online casinos market won’t be posting New Jersey casinos numbers any time soon, revenues have been solid.
- At present, there are six legal online betting sites in West Virginia: FanDuel, Caesars sportsbook, DraftKings, BetMGM sportsbook, PointsBet, and Betly. BonusFinder lays out what you can expect from sports betting apps.
- West Virginia’s online sports betting apps and sports betting industry is a bit sparse. This doesn’t surprise us – unlike New Jersey betting, West Virginia is a small state.
- According to the most recent census, it is only home to about 1.8 million people. Therefore it’s not as interesting market to sports betting site operators compared to bigger states like Colorado or NJ. You have some of the top sportsbook brands in the state just the same.
⭐ Best WV Sports Betting Apps
WV sports betting mobile app and legal sports betting sites are listed here. The sportsbooks are available on mobile device and desktop sites for West Virginians and others in the US willing to travel to West Virginia. All sports apps offer betting bonuses for new players.
|WV Legal Sportsbooks||WV Betting App||Bonus Offers|
|BetMGM Sportsbook||Yes||$1,000 risk free bet|
|Golden Nugget Sportsbook||Yes||$250 free bet|
|Caesars Sportsbook||Yes||$1,001 first bet match|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||Yes||Risk-free bet $1,000|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||Yes||$1,000 First Deposit Bonus|
|PointsBet West Virginia||Yes||2 risk-free bets, total of $2,000|
⭐ Legal Sports Betting in West Virginia
There are many West Virginia online sportsbook options for sports gambling fans, including big names like BetMGM sportsbook, FanDuel sportsbook, DraftKings and newcomers like Golden Nugget online. Note that legal sports betting is always licensed by the state gambling authority West Virginia Lottery Commission which regulates legal gambling business in the state.
- BetMGM Sports Betting App WV: BetMGM sportsbook and casino operates in multiple states in the US. The MGM Resorts International sportsbook is a brand to reckon with in America. Use bonus code BONUSMGM for BetMGM WV $1,000 risk-free betting bonus. BetMGM sportsbook has a rich online betting market, various sports, good banking options, good odds, a loyalty program, and timely promotions for bettors. The Greenbrier Casino Club is BetMGM’s partner in the mountaineer state.
- DraftKings Betting App: DraftKings aims to be the king of online gambling in the US. It built its sports reputation with daily fantasy sports success. The WV sportsbook is also a top online betting site in many states. Use our link to claim the app welcome deposit bonus. The promo offer of $1,000 risk-free sports bet with 20% match is not that exciting but the DraftKings app and website which offers a great betting experience is a big catch for players.
- Caesars Sportsbook West Virginia : The mountaineer state residents can enjoy sports betting gambling on the Caesars app. Use bonus code BONUSFINDERRF to get $1,001 first bet matched for free bet bonus. Bet match offer is an interesting welcome promo among sports gambling sites in the state.
- Golden Nugget WV: The mountain state residents and other bettors in US can enjoy online sports betting and casino gambling at the newest casino and betting site.
- FanDuel Sportsbook App: A popular daily fantasy sports (DFS) rival to DraftKings, FanDuel has entered West Virginia online betting and gambling market. FanDuel is a very big name in the world of sports betting. The Greenbrier Casino Club is the retail sportsbooks location for FanDuel Sportsbook. The Casino Club at The Greenbrier is also America’s only private casino. You can bet on all major sports including baseball, soccer, football, basketball and more. The FanDuel Sportsbook lounge is located in The Casino Club. FanDuel will give you a casino credit of $1,000 with its $1,000 risk-free first bet.
- PointsBet sportsbook: PointsBet WV is now live. You get two risk free bets up to $2,000 at the betting site with bonus code BONUS2000. You get fixed odds betting offer and pointsbetting welcome at PointsBet.
- Betly Sportsbook: Betly is available online as Mardi Gras Casino and Wheeling Island casino locations in West Virginia. Delaware North (the owner of Mardi Gras Casino and Wheeling Island) has a collaboration with IGT technology for Betly sportsbook. It offers a 100% risk-free winning streak up to $100. No app promo code is needed. Delaware North will likely launch the Betly brand in markets where it has land-based casinos. That would include New York, Arizona, Florida, Illinois and West Virginia.
WV Casinos with Sportsbooks
Land based casinos are extremely popular in West Virginia, and online sports betting sites (west Virginia sportsbook options on internet and apps) will never completely replace them. You can still bet live at the following retail sportsbooks (sports betting brick-and-mortar locations), four of which also have a race track. The five casinos and racinos of the state can accept sports betting wagers. All of the casinos above have retail sportsbooks (retail sports betting), casino floor with table games, and some even have poker tables.
|Land Based Casino Operator Name||City||Address||Owner|
|The Casino Club at The Greenbrier||Greenbrier||101 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs||Jim Justice Family Group|
|Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races||Charles Town||750 Hollywood Drive, Charles Town Races||Penn National Gaming|
|Mardi Gras Casino Resort||Nitro||1 Greyhound Drive, Cross Lanes, WV 25313||Delaware North|
|Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack and Resort||Chester||1420 Mountaineer Cir, New Cumberland||Century Casinos|
|Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack||Wheeling||1 S Stone St, Wheeling||Delaware North|
⭐How to Start Sports Betting Online
Caesars, FanDuel, BetMGM, and DraftKings all offer both an Android and an iOS app. To download them, specifically search for “FanDuel Sportsbook WV” or “DraftKings Sportsbook West Virginia.” Because of WV state law, their Android/iOS app differs from those in NJ, PA, IN, and CO.
Download Betting Apps
If you own an Android device, note that you may not find your app in the Play Store. Google policy may not allow for real-money sports betting sites in all locations, so you’ll have to download it from directly through the online sportsbook websites. iOS apps can be downloaded directly from the App Store.
Create New Sportsbook Account
- Before you can bet on sports at West Virginia online sportsbooks, you must first create a sportsbook account on the mobile device or the desktop. The casinos will want to know some of your personal details in order to identify you for real-money gambling.
- Note that your geolocation must be West Virginia and the online sportsbook will verify it with a geofencing plugin. You need to be within the state lines while playing on the site. Your usual place of residence does not matter, you can cross the state lines and be in West Virginia for online or retails sportsbooks.
Mobile device sites and online sports betting sites commonly require the information fields on registration forms:
- First name
- Last name
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number (last 4 digits of SSN)
- Email address
- Home address
- Zip code
- Mobile phone number
- Age verification
- Security Questions
⭐ Sports Betting: Bonuses
To attract sports fans, West Virginia online mobile sports betting mobile apps offer attractive welcome promotions. Typically, these sports betting online promos take multiple forms. We explain these bonuses that sports bettors in West Virginia can enjoy with all West Virginia sports betting sites.
Such bets are exactly what they sound like. Legal online mobile sports betting apps GIVE you money to wager with. If you win, you keep the proceeds, minus the stake.
Risk-free bets are NOT given to you by your sportsbook. Instead, a risk-free bet covers a wager made with your money, up to a certain amount. If you lose, the site refunds your stake, sometimes in free first bet, like the BetMGM Sportsbook.
Sportsbook Deposit Bonus
Sportsbook deposit bonuses are mostly the same as casino deposit bonuses. In return for depositing a specific amount, the sportsbook will give you bonus cash. Match percentages, matched free bet and caps vary from one app to another. Deposit match bonus is a new user bonus offered by sportsbooks.
Legal and best sports betting apps in West Virginia offer a variety of sports wagering promotions to keep bettors interested. These limited-time offers include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reload bonuses: These are among the most common ongoing promotions. These offers function just like a deposit welcome bonus. For every dollar you reload, you get a percentage in bonus cash. For instance, if you deposit $100 during a 30% up to $200 offer, you’ll get $30 in bonus cash.
- Profit boosts: Such boosts are one of the coolest sportsbook promos going. You use this offer in conjunction with a sports bet. Let’s say you applied a 10% profit boost to a wager slated to pay $100. If you win, you’ll get an extra $10 on top!
- Odds boosts: Odds boosters are similar to profit boosts. Instead of magnifying the payout, they make your odds more favorable (sort of more competitive odds). If you win, your odds boost will multiply your stake by an artificially higher number.
- Insurance promos: Insurance promotion in your bet slip will trade part of your stake for a full refund, when the worst thing happens and an improbable comeback turns a victory into a shocking defeat.
- And many more…
- Mobile sports betting sites attach playthrough requirements to their promotions when you are betting in West Virginia. Also called online wagering requirements, they require players to bet through bonus funds and associated winnings to withdraw them.
- FanDuel Sportsbook issues risk-free bet refunds in bonus cash. To withdraw the refunded amount, you’ll need to wager through it once. By industry standards, it’s quite generous.
⭐ WV Sports Betting Markets
Although it is a small state, West Virginia’s online sportsbooks have a lot of betting options and competitive odds in their sports betting market. Some of the most popular betting options include the following. You can bet on all popular sports in West Virginia.
- NFL Betting (Super Bowl or NFL season promos)
- MLB Betting
- NHL Betting
- NBA Betting
- College Sports (or collegiate sports teams)
- UFC / MMA
- NCAA (March Madness, basketball)
Teams to Bet On
- Sports in West Virginia has no professional teams but you will find major college athletic programs to bet online. Unlike other states, you can bet on sports like collegiate sports and e-sports without restrictions.
- They have a few division 1 programs, including West Virginia University and Marshall, that might interest sports bettors. The only restrictions apply to betting on high school sports.
- West Virginia bettors can bet on sports teams from neighboring states or support any team from anywhere by betting on live (in-game wagering) games, straight bets, futures, teasers, moneylines, round robins around different leagues, events and tournaments.
In addition to extensive markets, you can find most bet types (including straight bets) at each online betting site in West Virginia.
- Parlay Wager
- Point Spread Bets
- Over/Unders (Totals)
- Proposition Bets
- Live Betting
- Futures Bets
Where can you bet on sports in West Virginia? Well, apart from all the sportsbook apps listed here for online wagering, you can also visit the many land-based, retail casinos and other off-track betting sites with sports betting facilities.
For sports betting online in West Virginia, you’ll need to upload a bankroll first. We list the most common payment options in West Virginia below.
Just as in Indiana sports betting, sports betting companies offer deposit methods and payment options that cater to most West Virginia sports bettors. They include the following:
- Credit cards (Visa/MasterCard)
- American Express (DraftKings only)
- Debit cards (Visa/MasterCard)
- Prepaid cards
- ACH/online banking
- Paper checks/money orders/bank drafts (FanDuel only)
- Cash at the Cage (Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races – DraftKings only)
Paying by card is the quickest and easiest way to get money online. However, this method might not be open to some gamers, as some West Virginian banks block online gaming transactions.
PayPal, in our opinion, is the best workaround for West Virginia sports betting online deposits. Virtually all financial institutions trust this online e-wallet. Start by moving the amount you wish to deposit to your PayPal account. Then, initiate a PayPal deposit request on the sportsbook you want to transfer funds to. Within seconds, your bankroll will be online.
Do you love live gaming AND have a DraftKings Sportsbook account? Take your wagering online by making a cash deposit at the Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races. Initiate a “Cash at the Cage” deposit on DraftKings, and then head to the online casinos. To ensure a trouble-free experience, have your account details and government-issued photo ID ready for the cashier!
Nailed a big bet? When the time comes to withdraw funds, the sports betting industry in West Virginia offer several ways to get a hold of your cash. These include:
|Withdrawal Method||Withdrawal Time|
|ACH (e-checks)||3 - 5 business days|
|PayPal||4 - 6 business days|
|Paper checks||5 - 8 business days|
|Prepaid cards||2 - 6 hours|
|Cash at the Cage||2 - 6 hours|
The cash at the Cage option is only available if you have a DraftKings account. You can go to Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races to withdraw your funds – just remember to bring a valid ID.
⭐ WV Sports Betting: History & Timeline
The state of West Virginia legalized online sportsbooks in March 2018. The regulator, West Virginia Lottery (State’s Lottery Commission), started its work on rules and approval of online sportsbook apps/sites after online betting went legal.
|2016||West Virginia and five other states challenge Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act|
|February 2018||Sports Betting Bill S415 passes|
|March 2018||Sports Betting Becomes Legal|
|August 2018||William Hill (Now Caesars) in partnership with Hollywood Casino the first sportsbook to launch online|
|December 2018||Online Gambling is shut down|
|March 2019||Lottery Interactive Wagering Act (HB 2934) passes without a signature from Gov Jim Justice legalizing online casinos and betting|
|August 2019||Fantasy sports giants FanDuel and DraftKings Sportbooks go live|
Conclusion & Update
- West Virginia online betting market is among the smallest of all the legal sports betting markets in America. Despite that, it has a substantial number of online sportsbooks competing with each other.
- Delaware North had launched BetLucky way back in 2019 in West Virginia but it was a short-lived experiment due to legal wrangles. It did excite the legal gambling landscape in the state. Delaware North may launch Betly sportsbook brand in more states after partnership with Belgian gaming tech firm Gaming1.
- Now, all popular and big names like MGM Sportsbook, DraftKings, FanDuel and Caesars (formerly William Hill) are present in the mountaineer state. All the gambling operators offer well-designed platforms and plenty of promotions on the sportsbook apps or desktop sites.
- All sportsbooks offer responsible gambling options within player account and customer care support for bettors. More competition would make these West Virginia’s sportsbooks better, but the current situation isn’t terrible, either.
- Since Sep 2018, West Virginia sports betting sites have handled about $800 million in sports wagers until March 2021. It has generated about $60 million in sports betting revenue and about $6 million in taxes in that time period.
- Current gambling legislation allows the five West Virginia’s casinos in the state to partner with up to three skins each for online gambling licenses. There have been unsuccessful attempts at reforming the law so that state’s sports betting industry is not tethered to casinos in the state. Also, there have been attempts at legalizing esports bets.
- 1️⃣ Can I place bets in West Virginia using a VPN?
- 2️⃣ Is mobile sports betting legal in West Virginia?
- 3️⃣ Where can I bet on sports in West Virginia?
- 4️⃣ Do West Virginian online sportsbooks offer horse racing?
- 5️⃣ Do I need a promo code at WV sports betting sites?
- 6️⃣ What is the legal age limit for playing at sportsbooks in West Virginia.
- 7️⃣ How do I know if a WV Sports betting app is legit?
- 8️⃣ Is FanDuel app legal in West Virginia?
- 9️⃣ Is online sports betting legal in WV?