WV Sport Betting Sites & Bonus
In June 2018, the Supreme Court struck down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA). A few months later, the first legal betting sites in West Virginia went online. While this market won’t be posting New Jersey numbers any time soon, revenues have been solid.
At present, there are only three legal online betting sites in West Virginia: FanDuel, DraftKings, and BetMGM. In this guide, BonusFinder lays out what you can expect from these players.
West Virginia Sports Betting Sites
|WV Sportsbook||Betting App||Software|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||Yes||iOS / Android|
|BetMGM||Yes||iOS / Android|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||Yes||iOS / Android|
|William Hill||Yes||iOS / Android|
As you can see, West Virginias sports betting landscape is a bit sparse. This doesn’t surprise us – unlike New Jersey, WV is a small state. According to the most recent census, it is only home to 1.8 million people. Therefore it’s not as interesting market to betting operators compared to bigger states like Colorado or NJ.
William Hill, FanDuel Sportsbook, BetMGM, and DraftKings Sportsbook all offer both an Android and an iOS app. To download them, specifically search for “FanDuel Sportsbook West Virginia” or “DraftKings Sportsbook West Virginia.” Because of WV state law, their Android/iOS app differs from those in NJ, PA, IN, and CO.
If you own an Android device, note that you will not find your app in the Play Store. Google policy currently does not allow for real-money sports betting apps, so you’ll have to download it from directly through the sportsbooks websites.
Free Bets, Risk-Free Bets & Deposit Matches in West Virginia
To attract sports bettors, online WV sports betting sites offer attractive welcome promotions. Typically, these promos take three forms:
- Free bets are exactly what they sound like. Legal online sports betting sites GIVES you money to wager with. If you win, you keep the proceeds, minus the stake.
- Risk-free bets are NOT given to you by your sportsbook. Instead, a risk-free bet covers a wager made with your money, up to a certain amount. If you lose, the site refunds your stake.
- Sportsbook deposit bonuses are mostly the same as casino deposit bonuses. In return for depositing a specific amount, the sportsbook will give you bonus cash. Match percentages and caps vary from one site to another.
Since when does it make sense to just GIVE money away? It doesn’t – that’s why sportsbooks attach playthrough requirements to its promotions. Also called wagering requirements, they require players to bet through bonus funds and associated winnings to withdraw them.
In the case of DraftKings and FanDuel Sportsbook, their playthrough requirements are reasonable. FanDuel Sportsbook issues risk-free bet refunds in bonus cash. To withdraw the refunded amount, you’ll need to wager through it once. DraftKings Sportsbook also has 1x wagering requirements on its risk-free bet and deposit bonus.
By industry standards, both are generous.
West Virginia Sports Betting Promos
Legal online betting sites in West Virginia offer a variety of ongoing promotions to keep bettors interested. These limited-time offers include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reload bonuses
- Profit boosts
- Odds boosts
- Insurance promos
- And many more…
- Reload bonuses are among the most common ongoing promotions. These offers function just like a deposit welcome bonus. For every dollar you reload, you get a percentage in bonus cash. For instance, if you deposit $100 during a 30% up to $200 offer, you’ll get $30 in bonus cash.
- Profit boosts are one of the coolest sportsbook promos going. You use this offer in conjunction with a sports bet. Let’s say you applied a 10% profit boost to a wager slated to pay $100. If you win, you’ll get an extra $10 on top!
- Odds boosts are similar to profit boosts. Instead of magnifying the payout, they make your odds more favorable. If you win, your odds boost will multiply your stake by an artificially higher number.
- Insurance promos trade part of your stake for a full refund, when the worst thing happens and an improbable comeback turns a victory into a shocking defeat?
Banking at Betting Sites in West Virginia
To bet on an online sportsbook in West Virginia, you’ll need to upload a bankroll first. As well-established national brands, FanDuel and DraftKings offer a variety of deposit/withdrawal methods.
BonusFinder talks extensively about both below.
Like in Indiana, WV sportsbooks offer deposit methods that cater to most bettors. They include the following:
- Credit cards (Visa/MasterCard)
- American Express (DraftKings only)
- Debit cards (Visa/MasterCard)
- Prepaid cards
- ACH/online banking
- Paper checks/money orders/bank drafts (FanDuel only)
- Cash at the Cage (Hollywood Casino at Charles Town – DraftKings only)
Paying by card is the quickest and easiest way to get money online. However, this method might not be open to some gamers. According to FanDuel, the following West Virginian banks block gaming transactions:
- Bank of America
- Union Bank
- Capital One
- Huntington Bank
Understand that the West Virginia sports betting is fluid at the moment. As online gaming becomes normalized, these institutions may lift these bans. If you are affected, though, there are ways to get around these blocks.
PayPal, in our opinion, is the best workaround. Virtually all financial institutions trust this online e-wallet. Start by moving the amount you wish to deposit to your PayPal account. Then, initiate a PayPal deposit request on the sportsbook you want to transfer funds to. Within seconds, your bankroll will be online.
DraftKings Customers Only
Do you love live gaming AND have a DraftKings Sportsbook account? Take your wagering online by making a cash deposit at the Hollywood Casino at Charles Town. Initiate a “Cash at the Cage” deposit on DraftKings Sportsbook, and then head to the online casino. To ensure a trouble-free experience, have your account details and government-issued photo ID ready for the cashier!
Nailed a big bet? When the time comes to withdraw, legal online betting sites in West Virginia offer several ways to get a hold of your cash. These include:
|Withdrawal Method||Withdrawal Time|
|ACH (e-checks)||3 - 5 business days|
|PayPal||4 - 6 business days|
|Paper checks||5 - 8 business days|
|Prepaid cards||2 - 6 hours|
|Cash at the Cage||2 - 6 hours|
The cash at the Cage option is only available if you have a Draftkings Sportsbook account. You can go to Hollywood Casino at Charles Town to withdraw your funds – just remember to bring a valid ID.
Of all the legal sports betting markets in America, West Virginia is among the smallest. As a result, only FanDuel, BetMGM, and DraftKings operate in WV at this time. However, all the operations offer well-designed platforms and plenty of promotions.
More competition would make these West Virginia sportsbooks better, but the current situation isn’t terrible, either.
- Can I place bets in West Virginia using a VPN?
Don’t do it. Sportsbooks have measures in place to detect patrons using VPNs. They’re obligated by the state to do this, as it is illegal for sportsbooks to accept out-of-state wagers. If your sportsbook catches you using a VPN, they'll close your account and seize your funds.
- Can I bet on sports using my phone in West Virginia?
Yes. All the online sportsbooks have apps you cacn download. However, you can also use FanDuel, DraftKings and BetMGM on your mobile browser as well. In the mobile apps world, iOS users can download sports betting apps from the App Store. Android users must download directly from FanDuel/DraftKings/BetMGM, as the Play Store prohibits real-money gambling apps.
- Where can I bet on sports in West Virginia?
As of September 2020, DraftKings, BetMGM, and FanDuel are the only three online options available in WV. Offline, you can place wagers at five brick-and-mortar sportsbooks. They can be found at the Hollywood Casino at Charles Town, The Greenbrier Resort, the Mountaineer Casino, the Wheeling Island Hotel Casino, and the Mardi Gras Casino Resort.
- Do West Virginian online sportsbooks offer horse racing?
No. None of the three sports betting brands accept horse racing wagers on their platform.
- Do I need a promo code at a WV betting site?
No, you don't. None of the three legal sports betting site options require you to use a coupon code. All you need to do is click our link and cash in on the sports betting bonus.