- Legal Iowa Online Sports Betting
- Iowa Sports Betting Bonuses and Sign up Bonuses
- Mobile Betting Iowa
- Sports Betting Markets in Iowa
- How to Get the Best Iowa Sportsbook Bonuses
- Retail Sports Betting in Iowa
- Iowa Sports Betting History & Timeline
- Conclusion – Iowa Sports Betting for Sports Bettors
Legal Iowa Online Sports Betting
Online betting in Iowa state is now legal without the need for retail registration. Currently, the following sportsbooks are offering online mobile betting and many of them offer Iowa sportsbook bonuses. You might recognize some of the most famous betting and online sportsbooks sites in America, with few local Iowa sportsbooks betting brands added to the sports betting mix.
|Iowa Sportsbooks||Casino Partners|
|DraftKings||Wild Rose Casino Emmetsburg
Wild Rose Casino Jefferson
Wild Rose Casino Clinton
|FanDuel Sportsbook||Diamod Jo Dubuque Casino
Diamond Jo Worth Casino
|PointsBet||Catfish Bend Casino Burlington|
|Hard Rock Sioux City||Hard Rock Sioux City|
|BetMGM Sportsbook||Diamond Jo Casino|
|William Hill||Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino
Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo
Isle of Capri Bettendorf
|BetFred Sportsbook||Riverside Casino & Golf Resort
Rhythm City Casino Davenport
Grand Falls Casino
|Elite Sportsbook||Grand Falls Casino Larchwood|
|Q Casino Sportsbook||Q Casino Dubuque Greyhound Park|
Iowa Sports Betting Bonuses and Sign up Bonuses
Iowa sports betting history does not go very deep. Online betting in Iowa is still quite fresh, which means that Iowa sports betting bonuses are not on par with other states. Currently, Iowans need to settle for less, but things will likely change in the near future. See the table below for betting bonuses and promo codes to bet.
|Iowa Sports Betting Sites||Iowa Sports Betting Bonuses||Sportsbook Bonus Code|
|BetMGM Sportsbook Iowa||$600 risk free bet||BonusMGM|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||$1,000 deposit bonus||No sportsbook bonus code|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||$1,000 welcome bonus||No bonus code for risk free bet|
|BetFred Sportsbook||$1,000 free bet||No sports betting bonus code|
|William Hill||$500 risk free bet||BONUSFINDERRF|
|PointsBet||2 risk free bets up to $2,000||BONUS2000|
|BetRivers||$250 deposit bonus||250MATCH|
|Hard Rock Sioux City||$100 welcome bonus||No bonus code for risk free bet|
|Q Casino||No sportsbook bonus or free bet||No bonus offer at Iowa Sportsbook|
|Elite Sportsbook||$500 welcome bonus risk free bet||No sporstsbook bonus code|
Draftkings is the sports betting market leader in the United States and they are almost always the first ones to arrive at a legal sports betting state. Therefore, their late February 2020 launch in sports betting might seem surprising. However, it was all part of a well executed plan of the online gambling behemoth.
DraftKings DFS in Iowa
Iowa legalized daily fantasy sports in October 2019, and DraftKings immediately launched their DFS site. This means that they had more than four months to acquire sports bettors and players in Iowa, before launching their sports betting site. When the sportsbook app launched in partnership with Wild Rose Casinos, it launched with vigor, receiving thousands of players from the DFS site.
DraftKings Sports Betting Bonus
The DraftKings Sportsbook bonus is the same in every state. That means that sports bettors in Iowa will receive a 20% deposit match up to $1,000 dollars to bet when they make their first deposit at DraftKings sportsbook.
FanDuel Sportsbook Iowa
FanDuel entered the Iowa sports betting market after the retail registration regulation was lifted. Although they are a new player in the state, they will likely get a lot of traction immediately, as Iowa bettors will flock to the familiar blue colours of FanDuel Sportsbook.
FanDuel Iowa Sports Betting Bonus
FanDuel Sportsbook bonus in Iowa is a $1,000 risk free bet. This means that FanDuel will match your first wager in site credit if your bet loses. For example, if your first bet wager is worth $200, and the bet loses, FanDuel will give you $200 back in site credit.
BetFred Sportsbook Iowa
Betfred is a large UK based sportsbook with decades of experience. The are one of the new Iowa sportsbooks, but they have come out with an exciting sports betting bonus for Iowa residents looking to bet on sports.
BetFred Iowa Sports Betting Bonus
Betred Iowa Bonus is a free bet up to $1,000. You can claim this free bet by making your first bet at Betfred Sports Iowa. Betfred will then match your first bet with a free bet.
William Hill Sportsbook
William Hill was the first online sportsbook to open sports wagering when sports betting became legal in Iowa. They were the early industry leaders in the state, but have since lost much of the market share to DraftKings and PointsBet. It is a reliable name in online gambling and sports betting just the same.
Bet with William Hill Betting Bonus
The William Hill Sportsbook in Iowa gives new players a $500 risk free bet welcome bonus with William Hill Iowa promo code BONUSFINDERRF. However, how much it is worth depends on how much you deposit in your sports betting account.
BetMGM Iowa Sportsbook
BetMGM sportsbook is also part of the online sports betting market. The MGM Resorts International brand is powered by the Roar Digital sports betting platform. They offer great odds and exciting ongoing promotions for bettors in Iowa.
Bet with BetMGM Iowa Sportsbook Bonus
BetMGM Sportsbook IA gives new players a $600 risk free bet. The free bet is paid to players as 5 free bets up to $120 each.
PointsBet Iowa Sportsbook
The Australian sports betting site PointsBet broke through in the US in 2019. In a surprise move, they launched a sports betting app in November 2020. However, with just one casino partner in the state, PointsBet has struggled. As mobile sports betting becomes fully legalized in 2021, PointsBet will likely grab a larger share of the betting market. Their main draw is their patented style of betting called pointsbetting. In pointsbetting, players try to cover the spread as accurately as possible to win more cash.
Bet with PointsBet Bonus
PointsBet offers new customers two risk free bets. The other one is worth $500 and can be used for traditional betting, and the other one is up to a $1,000 and can only be used for pointsbetting.
Hard Rock Sportsbook
The Hard Rock Sportsbook operates through the Hard Rock hotel in Sioux City. In addition to Nevada and New Jersey, Iowa is the only state to have a Hard Rock Sportsbook. Hard Rock is not well known as a sports betting operator, and therefore they haven’t had considerable success in Iowa yet.
Bet with Hard Rock Bonus
Hard Rock sportsbook bonus in Iowa is 100% up to $100 risk free bet.
Elite Sportsbook IA
Elite Sportsbook became the second sports betting site to open up in Iowa in late August 2019. Elite operates on a Bet.Works platform. Currently, they only operate in the Hawkeye State.
Bet with Elite Betting Bonus
The Elite Sportsbook bonus in Iowa is a risk free bet with sign up bonus up to $500.
Mobile Betting Iowa
The online account registration for Iowa sports betting is done through the sportsbook apps. Therefore, every Iowa betting site has a betting app.
How to Use Iowa Betting Apps
You must be at least 21 years old and physically in the state of Iowa before you can successfully download betting apps.
Downloading the App for iOS
Downloading the sportsbook apps for iOS is easy. Just like every other state, App Store in Iowa allows gambling downloads. Just look for your gambling app of choice and hit download and you’re good to go.
Downloading the App for Android
Those wanting to download the Android app may face additional difficulties. Google Play Store policies may not allow real money gambling apps on their platform everywhere, so you need to sideload directly from the online sportsbok website. However, Google Play store policy on gambling apps is evolving and casino and sportsbook apps may be available more for Android phones.
Furthermore, your mobile device might block the download. If this happens, you need to go to your phone’s settings and “allow downloads from unknown sources”.
Registering a Sportsbook Account for Sports Betting
As you can tell, sportsbooks in Iowa are very strict about verifying your identity. Therefore, they will ask several personal details when you register:
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
Geolocation and Out of State Play
It is absolutely illegal to use VPN or other services in order to access betting apps outside state limits. Online sportsbooks are very strict about this, and if you are caught you might be blocked from the operator’s site for good, in every US state.
To prevent out of state play, most sports betting sites use geolocation software or plug-in that you need to install on your device to play and bet on sports. This program will determine if you are within Iowa state limits. Take care, because near state borders, your phone might connect to out of state towers. To prevent this from happening, we suggest using Wi-Fi.
Sports Betting Markets in Iowa
When it comes to sports betting markets, Iowa is like any other state to bet. You can bet on all pro sports, college games, and international sporting events. Unlike New Jersey, you can bet on instate college events as well. However, some rules do apply.
- You can only bet on sports, not politics or award shows
- You can’t bet on E-sports
- Live props are not allowed during in-state college teams’ games
Pro Sports Betting in Iowa
Iowa sports betting is not known for its homegrown sports teams. The closest major league team to Iowa are the Kansas City Royals from Missouri. In a way, this is a good position for Iowa bettors, as they can bet on the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, and MLS without any home town bias.
College Sports Betting Iowa
The state gambling law makes betting on college events legal in Iowa almost without restrictions. Therefore, college sport bets might be the way to for Iowans who like to bet close to home. Although Iowa lacks professional sports teams, the state has several strong collegiate programs.
- Drake Bulldogs
- Iowa State Cyclones
- Northern Iowa Panthers
- Iowa Hawkeyes
- Simpson Storm
Horse Betting Iowa
In addition to sportsbooks like FanDuel and DraftKings that offer fixed odds on horse races, you can bet on horses legally using designated horse betting apps like AmWager or TVG. These horse racing sites offer horse racing pools, instead of fixed odds betting.
Iowa Sportsbooks Bet Types
Because Iowa is a relatively new gambling market, some players might not be familiar with all the betting options. BonusFinder US lists the most common bet types in Iowa sportsbooks.
- Moneyline – Straight bets on the game’s winner. You can also bet on draw if it’s available.
- Spread Bets – Because sports teams are usually not equally strong, sportsbooks set a spread for the other team to cover. For example, you can bet that the New York Yankees win by at least two runs. If they win by two or more runs, they cover the spread and you win your bet.
- Over/Under (Totals) Bets – You bet on the points total of the game, quarter, inning, or period.
- Prop Bets – Proposition bets are bets on certain events of the game. For example, you can bet on whether or not Lebron James will score 30 points against the Miami Heat. You may not place prop bets on in-state college teams.
- Futures bets- Futures are like long term props. You can, for example, bet on the March Madness champion before the tournament begins.
- Parlays – Parlays are a combination two or more sports bets. Each leg must win, or you lose your wager.
How to Get the Best Iowa Sportsbook Bonuses
You are ahead of most Iowa bettors as you have read the sports gambling page this far. Here is what you can do more to maximize your bets at Iowa online betting:
- Read the bonus terms carefully before taking up the Iowa sportsbooks’ offers. This way you will not end up taking offers and making bets which seemed exciting at first but do not prove valuable later as you gamble online.
- Try to optimize on your money management with deposits and withdrawals. Try to take full advantage of the welcome bonus offers, free bets at Iowa sports betting online markets. Withdraw your funds, if necessary, once the offer is cleared. Try to use maximum number of bonus deals at online sportsbook apps as you bet on sports.
- Keep an eye on launch offers from new sportsbooks in Iowa. New betting apps may give you more bonuses and welcome offers. Keep an eye on the top list of BonusFinder Iowa betting page, Iowa market, and new brands entering the gambling market.
- Read the promotions page of the casino for more offers. Online sportsbook apps and sites often have some promo, bonuses, parley boost, odds boost, best Iowa sportsbook bonuses claims on their webpage or app.
- Online sportsbooks email marketing newsletter may give offers and gambling updates such as weekly betting promos to subscribers. It may be a good idea to opt in to online sportsbook promotional emails for teasers, features, bonus offers, online betting options, site credits, matched free bets, sports news, e wallet offers, banking options and new bettors offers. Also go through the Iowa sports betting FAQ at the end of this article.
Retail Sports Betting in Iowa
|Ameristar Council Bluffs||Council Bluffs|
|Catfish Bend Casino||Burlington|
|Diamond Jo Casino||Dubuque|
|Diamond Jo Casino - Worth||Northwood|
|Grand Falls Casino||Larchwood|
|Hard Rock||Sioux City|
|Harrah s Council Bluffs||Council Bluffs|
|Isle of Capri Bettendorf||Bettendorf|
|Isle of Capri||Waterloo|
|Lakeside Hotel Casino||Osceola|
|Rhythm City Casino||Davenport|
|Riverside Casino Golf Resort||Riverside|
|Horseshoe Casino Council Bluffs||Council Bluffs|
|Wild Rose Casino||Clinton|
|Wild Rose Casino||Emmetsburg|
|Wild Rose Casino||Jefferson|
The only retail casino that does not have a sports betting license yet is the Casino Queen Marquette. However, Casino Queen Marquette has applied for a license.
Iowa Sports Betting History & Timeline
Many states have had hard time legalizing online sports betting. However, Iowa is not among these states.
- Pre 2018: A strong push to legalize betting in the state
- March 2018: The US Supreme Court overturns PASPA (The Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act) making sports betting legal in the US.
- May 13th 2019: Governor Kim Reynolds signs SF 617 making sports betting legal in Iowa.
- October 15th 2019: William Hill becomes the first legal sports betting site to launch in the state
- January 1st 2021: Online account registration without the need to visit a land based property became legal.
Specifics of SF 617 legalizing sports betting in Iowa
Iowa sports betting became legal with the passing of SF 617 bill. The sports betting law in the state is one of the most relaxed in the country, allowing almost all sports bets. In addition, the specifics of the law mean that casinos will find it quite easy to open new online sportsbooks in Iowa and lure players with sports betting bonuses:
- The tax rate in Iowa is only 6.75% on revenue (lowest of any online betting state)
- The licensing fee in Iowa is only $45,000
- Two sports betting sportsbooks can operate under the same license in Iowa
Conclusion – Iowa Sports Betting for Sports Bettors
The need for in person registration at a casino property was lifted on January 1 2021 and Iowa became a full blown sports betting state. With casinos able to carry two operators at the same time and a low tax rate, the sports betting market is huge. Currently seven sportsbooks operate in the state, but the number of betting apps and sites will probably double during 2021 as more and more Iowa casinos partner with sportsbooks.
Iowa Sports Betting FAQs
- Is online sports betting legal in Iowa?
Yes. The official launch date for sports betting was August 15th 2019. Iowa gambling is regulated by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission ensuring responsible gaming. Iowa sports betting revenue is constantly rising since legalization of sports betting. Choose an Iowa sports betting app from the top list here.
- How do I know if an Iowa betting site is legal?
All the gambling sites listed in BonusFinder US are legal in Iowa. If you are still in doubt, legal Iowa betting sites are regulated by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission. Check for their logo at the bottom of the page. You can also check legal casinos from the Iowa Gaming Association website.
- Can I bet in Iowa if I don't live in the state?
Yes, Iowa betting is not restricted to Iowans. You just need to be within Iowa state lines, more than 21 years of age, and not be on a self-exclusion list. If you meet these requirements, you can download a sports betting app and place bets with Iowa sportsbook promos listed here.
- Where can I bet on sports in Iowa?
You can sign up for online sportsbooks in Iowa and bet on sports directly from your mobile app. See the BonusFinder toplist of Iowa sports betting sites and sign up bonuses.
- Is FanDuel Sportsbook available in the state?
Yes. In the state of Iowa, FanDuel has partnered with Diamond Jo Casino. No bonus code is needed to bet.
- Is DraftKings available in Iowa?
Yes, DraftKings is available in the state through their partnership with Wild Rose Casinos. Both DraftKings sports betting and Daily Fantasy Sports are available in Iowa.