The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission issued a mobile sports wagering license to SuperBook this month, expanding the operator’s reach to eight states.
On April 11, SuperBook successfully completed a controlled demonstration of its mobile sports wagering platform, during which customers participated in live wagering as Maryland Lottery and Gaming staff ensured that SuperBook complied with all required procedures and that its systems functioned properly.
SuperBook initially opened a retail lounge at Camden Yards, home of the Major League Baseball Baltimore Orioles, but the location wasn’t ready to take bets.
SuperBook Maryland is the ninth mobile sportsbook operator to launch in the state. The other eight are:
- Barstool Sportsbook (operator for PENN Maryland/Hollywood Casino in Perryville)
- Betfred Sportsbook (operator for Long Shot’s in Frederick)
- BetMGM MD (operator for BetMGM Maryland Sports/MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill)
- BetRivers (operator for Arundel Amusements/Bingo World in Brooklyn Park)
- Caesars Sportsbook MD (operator for CZR Maryland Mobile Opportunity/Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore)
- DraftKings (Crown MD Online Gaming)
- FanDuel (operator for PPE Maryland Mobile/Live! Casino and Hotel in Hanover)
- PointsBet (operator for Riverboat on the Potomac in Charles County)
There are currently 10 retail sports wagering facilities in Maryland:
- Bingo World in Brooklyn Park
- Greenmount Station in Hampstead
- Hollywood Casino in Perryville
- Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore
- Live! Casino in Hanover
- Long Shot’s in Frederick
- Maryland Stadium Sub at FedEx Field in Landover
- MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill
- Ocean Downs Casino in Berlin
- Riverboat on the Potomac in Charles County
Las Vegas-based SuperBook is also available in Nevada (launched in 1986), Colorado (launched in June 2021), New Jersey (launched in August 2021), Arizona (launched in December 2021), Tennessee (launched in April 2022), Iowa (launched in October 2022) and Ohio (launched in January 2023). Announcements on additional states are just around the corner, the company said in a press release.
In Ohio, SuperBook Sports partnered with FC Cincinnati as the official betting partner of the MLS team with a retail betting location in downtown Cincinnati at Taft’s Ale House.
During March, Maryland’s online and retail sportsbooks combined for more than $385.9 million in handle and set a single-month benchmark with more than $5.3 million in contributions to the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future Fund, which supports public education.
Maryland launched in-person retail sports betting first in December 2021 at five casinos in the state. Online/mobile sports wagering was launched in November 2022.
Under Maryland’s sports wagering law, the state’s Sports Wagering Application Review Commission is authorized to conduct a competitive process to award up to 60 mobile licenses and up to 30 Class B facility licenses.