⭐ Massachusetts Sports Betting
The sports betting bill H5164 passed with flying colors and has been already signed by Gov. Charlie Baker into the law. With this being said, there is a possibility of sports betting official launch happening this fall. However, Massachusetts Gaming Commission doesn’t guarantee that sports betting will start anytime soon, as they are still researching the practices that regulate online gambling in US.
BonusFinder will keep you updated on all the recent sports betting news in Massachusetts. For now, here are all the key details about the Massachusetts gambling legislation.
- Existing land based casinos can get two skins only, while simulcast venues are limited to one skin. The current retail gambling operators will take 8 possible sports betting licenses, with 7 licenses left for the new online sportsbooks. This results in 15 online sportsbooks being able to operate in Massachusetts.
- Online sports betting brands will pay 20% tax, while retail sportsbooks have 15% tax rate.
- In-state college sports betting is prohibited, with an exemption for national or collegiate sports tournaments like NCAA or March Madness.
- Massachusetts sports fans won’t be able to use credit cards to deposit money on their sportsbook account.
⭐ Massachusetts Sports Betting Timeline
- October 6, 2022 – MGC expressed their intent to launch retail sports betting by the end of January 2023, which will make possible for BetMGM, WynnBet and Barstool to strart accepting in person bets. As for the online sports betting, the best case scenario is that it will go live during the Super Bowl weekend, however this date is not officially confirmed.
- September 15, 2022 – No official timeline announced during the MGC meeting. Regulators found a flaw in the bill, which affects the number of temporary licenses for operators.
- September 8, 2022 – MGC hasn’t issued a timeline for the launch of sports betting. The members of commission announced that the launch won’t be imminent. Massachusetts State Lottery required that they need a plan for sports betting operators to support the lottery as well as to participate in cross-promotion (in-person and online).
- August 1, 2022 – 42 gambling operators issued a notice of intent to receive a sports betting license in Massachusetts. Those include representatives of Native American Groups as well as big players like BetMGM, Caesars, DraftKings and FanDuel. The next MGC meeting is scheduled for September 8, 2022.
- August 30, 2022 – As of now, 12 gambling operators submited a notice of intent to the MGC. The brands, which are not on the list yet, have time till August 31, 2022.
- August 20, 2022 – The Massachusetts Gaming Comission has asked parties, interested in obtaining a sports wagering license, to fill in the “notice of intent form” by the end of August 2022.
- August 18, 2022 – Five retail gambling operators met with MGC to discuss further steps in launching retail sportsbooks in Massachusetts.
- August 10, 2022 – Gov. Charlie Baker signed a Massachusetts sports betting bill H5164 , which made sports betting legal in the Bay State.
- August 1, 2022 – Sports Betting Conference Committee reached a decision to legalize sports betting in Massachusetts and passed the bill to Gov. Charlie Baker.
- Winter 2022 – Massachusetts sports betting is on hold, as the senate is still deciding on the regulations for collegiate sports betting and budget.
- Fall 2021 – Massachusetts legislature hasn’t made any progress with the sports betting bill HB 3977, as the Massachusetts Gaming Commission is still deep in the research of sports betting regulations in other states.
- Summer 2021 – Massachusetts House passed HB 3977, which would legalize sports betting. Ball is on the Senates side.
- Winter 2021 – Multiple sports betting bills are introduced by Massachusetts lawmakers.
Massachusetts reviews Fanatics house rules, approves Betr operations and talks NFL Draft
A certificate of operations for Betr Sportsbook and house rules submitted by Fanatics Sportsbook passed through the Massachusetts Gaming Commission…
April 26, 2023
Mass. online sports betting posts impressive numbers for first month
It appears online/mobile sports betting will be a clear favorite moving forward for gambling in Massachusetts. The Massachusetts Gaming Commission…
April 24, 2023
Sports betting licenses awarded in Massachusetts, with conditions
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission (MGC) approved a number of MA sports betting licenses last week setting the stage for an…
December 27, 2022
Massachusetts Lottery urges provisions in sports betting to grow revenue
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission stood by their "getting this right" approach on Thursday in an effort to launch sports betting…
September 12, 2022
Launching sports betting in Massachusetts will take a little longer than people anticipate
A Massachusetts gaming commission will take a slower approach to launching legal sports betting in the state than has been…
August 8, 2022
⭐ Top Massachusetts Sportsbooks in June 2023
As soon as online sports betting brands will release the legal mobile options in Massachusetts, sports bettors will be able to wager from the comfort of their own home as well as at the retail sportsbooks. Even though there is no final date for the official launch of sports betting, there are already several big sportsbook operators that will try their best to enter MA sports betting industry. Here are the top Massachusetts online sports betting sites, that expected to launch in the Bay State.
|MA Online Sportsbook||MA Welcome Offer|
|🏈 BetMGM Massachusetts Bonus Code||$1,000 Risk Free|
|🏀 DraftKings MA Sportsbook||20% up to $1,000|
|⚾ FanDuel MA Sportsbook||$1,000 No Sweat First Bet|
|⚽ Barstool MA Sportsbook||$10 Free + $1,000 Risk Free|
|🏒 WynnBET MA Sportsbook||Bet $50, Win $200|
BetMGM is one of the best sportsbooks with amazing welcome bonus and even better sports betting app. BetMGM is available in the most legal sports betting states and it won’t be a surprise if it will be the first sportsbook to launch in Massachusetts. Moreover, MGM brand is already well known in MA, as they operate one of the most successful full service casinos MGM Springfield. With it being said, BetMGM will be able to receive sports betting licenses for retail and online sports betting.
Sports bettors can expect various sports betting markets and bet types, generous welcome bonuses and daily promotions. You will be able to access all of these perks through BetMGM sports betting app, which should be available for iOS and Android users as soon as sports betting will launch in Massachusetts.
DraftKings Sportsbook is the most well known gambling brand in Massachusetts. The brand was founded in Boston and till this time has its headquarters there. Also, DraftKings provides one of not many legal gambling options in MA, daily fantasy sports. Throughout the whole online gambling history in US, DraftKings Sportsbook has been always in top three sports betting apps to launch in the new state. We expect Massachusetts won’t be an exception and DraftKings sports betting app will be live soon.
DraftKings doesn’t have any land based gambling properties, so there is a high possibility that the brand will launch an independent online sports betting app.
Barstool Sportsbook is owned by Penn National Gaming and has a great chance to gain access to the sports betting market in Massachusetts through the Plainridge Park Casino. Barstool Sportsbook will be able to receive sports betting license for both retail and online wagering. Plainridge Park Casino has earned its name in Massachusetts through offering multiple casino games, so we expect the sports betting app to deliver the same quality and services as the land based brand.
WynnBET is another sports betting brand that has ties to a land based brand in Massachusetts. Wynn Resorts own a land based casino Encore Boston Harbor, which also happens to have a Wynn sports bar. It is expected for them to enter sports betting arena, as they already offer sports related services and it will just add more value to the existing property.
FanDuel Sportsbook is among the limited amount of gambling operators who provide legal options Massachusetts residents. Till now, FanDuel has been known as a daily fantasy sports provider and we are sure they will soon offer sports wagering options as well. FanDuel Sportsbook is usually among the first online sportsbook apps to launch, so stay tuned to find out the exact launch date and possible welcome bonus for the new users.
Retail Sportsbooks in Massachusetts
According to the sports betting bill, all of the existing land based casinos can receive sports betting licenses. This means that Massachusetts have high chances of hosting five retail sportsbooks. Since two of them already have sports bars, it will be no wonder if MGM Springfield and Encore Boston Harbor will launch retail sports betting earlier than online sports betting. Here are the expected retail sportsbooks in Massachusetts.
|MA Retail Sportsbook||Massachusetts Address||Owner|
|MGM Springfield||One MGM Way, Springfield, MA 01103||MGM Resorts|
|Encore Boston Harbor||One Broadway Everett, MA 02149||Wynn Resorts|
|Plainridge Park Casino||301 Washington Street, Plainville, MA 02762||Penn National Gaming|
|Raynham Park||1958 Broadway, Raynham, MA 02767||George Carney|
|Suffolk Downs||525 William F McClellan Hwy, Boston, MA 02128||HYM Investment Group|
⭐ MA Sports Betting Apps
According to the sports betting bill, there will be up to 15 MA online sportsbook apps. Massachusetts sports betting market will be very competitive, as all the brands will try to win over the new users with the best sports wagering features.
MA sports bettors will be able to find the sports betting apps from App Store or Google Play. In some rare occasions Android users will have to download app from the sports betting site. With the help of the sports wagering app you will be able to access all daily promotions, current odds, your bet slip and even watch live streams of Massachusetts sports teams games.
We will add more information about the sports betting apps in Massachusetts, as the launch date will get closer.
Massachusetts Promo Codes & Bonus Codes
As we are still waiting for the launch of legal betting on professional and collegiate sports in Massachusetts, there are not exact promo codes for the Bay State. However, here are some tips that you need to know if you want to claim your Massachusetts Sportsbook Bonuses.
- The usual amount of welcome bonus varies from $100 to $2,000, depending on the type of the bonus.
- Usually there is an exclusive promo code, that you need to use when creating a sportsbook account. If there is no promo code, then there will be an exclusive link that will automatically add the bonus to your account. As soon as mobile betting goes live in Massachusetts, we will share all the bonus codes.
- There is a wagering requirement for the welcome bonus.
Who Can Place Sports Wagers in Massachusetts
The legal gambling age in Massachusetts is 21 years old. So all Massachusetts sports bettors have to be 21+ or older if they want to place bets either online or in the retail sportsbooks. You will have to be present within Massachusetts state lines, since all online sports betting apps use geolocation tracking.
⭐ Massachusetts Sports Betting Markets
Legal sports betting is soon going to be a reality in Massachusetts. The Bay State is one of the largest sports betting markers and hosts five professional sports teams. Massachusetts sports fans will be able to place bets on major league sports as soon as sports betting launches.
MA Professional Sports Betting
Massachusetts is home for many professional sports teams, that cover most of the major league sports. All of the teams have a long and successful history, which makes the Bay State the center of sports in North America.
National Football League
NFL betting is going to be one of the most popular sports betting options in Massachusetts. The New England Patriots is the most successful team in the NFL history with six Super Bowls. As the 2022 NFL season is coming, most of the online sportsbooks will want to feature odds for the New England Patriots games and prop bets for the team. If the luck is on the side of MA sports bettors, legal wagering will be live just on time for them to place bets on NFL games.
National Basketball League
Another professional sports team with long history is the Boston Celtics. The basketball team is considered to be one of the most successful teams in the NBA history, as they hold the record for the most recorded wins. Moreover, most of the online sports betting operators already project the Boston Celtics to win the 2022-23 NBA title. Naturally, NBA betting will bring a lot of attention to Massachusetts wagering scene, so we expect online sportsbooks to offer multiple daily promotions that will improve your bet slip.
Major League Baseball
MLB betting will be in the top options offered by MA online sportsbooks. The Boston Red Sox is one of the most famous franchises in the Bay State and it will be no wonder if sports fans will place bets on their games. With the news team members coming to the team in August 2022, the Boston Red Sox might have a fresh start and bring more betting opportunities.
National Hockey League
The Boston Bruins is one more team that brings sports fans to Massachusetts. It is one of the Original Six NHL teams and it is expected to bring a lot of talks to the MA sports betting market. For now it is hard to tell how well Boston Bruins will do during the 106th NHL season, but with old players back like Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, there is a chance for success.
Major League Soccer
The New England Revolution is yet another professional team, which will spice up MLS betting scene in Massachusetts. MLS Betting might be another popular option, as the home matches of the New England Revolution are played at the Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. After the official sports betting launch, make sure to check out the current odds for their games.
Other Professional Sports Betting Options
Besides the popular major sports, MA sportsbooks will also offer sports betting on various other sports. The usual selection consists of 20+ sports, including international league sports and niche sports. Here is a list of future niche sports, that will be available on the Massachusetts sports betting apps.
- Formula 1
- Aussie Rules
MA College Sports Betting
Even though professional sports take the biggest spotlight in the Bay State, college sports grew to get quite a lot of attention as well. Due to the big presence of sports programs in Massachusetts, sports fans can wager on some of the best college sports teams.
There are some rules, that have to be followed, if you want to start college betting. There are no limitations on the out of state betting, meaning that you can wager on any college team that is out of state. As for the in state college teams, you will be able to place bets on them only during the national tournaments, like NCAA.
College football and basketball betting have a lot of potential in Massachusetts. The state hosts 10+ college teams, which show great results from year to year.
⭐ Bet Types
As soon as sports wagering apps and sites will be available in Massachusetts, you will be able to choose bet types that suits you. Usually sportsbooks offer the same bet types. However, some sports wagering brands also offer the possibility to custom the bets. Moreover, you can spice up your bet slip with the help of daily promotions (parlay insurance, free bets, etc.). Here is the list and quick explanation of the bet types, that you can expect to have in Massachusetts.
- Moneyline Bets – It is the most basic bet type, when you have to bet on the winner. When New England Patriots play against the Miami Dolphins, you can bet on the Patriots to win.
- Point Spread Bets – You bet on both, the winner of the game and the margin of the win. If Boston Red Sox are +1.5 against the Baltimore Orioles, they have to win by two points or more.
- Total Bets – You need to bet on the total amount of points in a game.
- Prop Bets – You can wager either on team performance or player. It is a perfect bet type for sports fans who follow the life of the favorite sports teams, like Boston Celtics.
- Futures Bets – Massachusetts bettors will be able to bet on the future games and events, like Super Bowl, World Series or Stanley Cup. This bet type also includes wagering on college tournaments like March Madness.
- Parlay Bets – Parlays consist of several bets. You can easily bet on several teams to win games. To make it more fun, sportsbook usually offer parlay insurances.
- Live Bets – You have an option to wager while the even is happening. Be aware that the odds are changing throughout the game, so you need to be extra cautious with your decisions.
⭐ MA Banking Options
Massachusetts sports betting market will offer the common banking options for its bettors. However, the newly signed sports betting bill has some limitations. Massachusetts bettors won’t be able to use credit cards to deposit funds into their online sportsbook accounts. Beside this, everything else should be available.
|Cash at the Casino Cage||Yes||Yes|
|PayNearMe by 7-Eleven||Yes||No|
⭐ Massachusetts Sports Betting Summary
Sports betting is finally legal in Massachusetts. There is no official launch date yet, as Massachusetts Gaming Commission is still researching the regulations in other legal sports betting states. However, there are already some players with the intentions to launch their online wagering products in MA. You can expect 15 online sportsbooks, which will offer more than 20+ major sports to bet on and best sports betting features in US.
Last updated: 03/10/2023
⭐ Massachusetts Sports Betting FAQ
1️⃣ Is online sports betting legal in Massachusetts?
Gov. Charlie Baker legalized sports betting in MA on August 10, 2022. This includes both online and retail sportsbooks. There are 15 licenses available, 7 of them will be given purely to online gambling operators.
2️⃣ Can I play daily fantasy sports in MA?
Yes, daily fantasy sports are legal in Massachusetts. You can enjoy playing daily fantasy sports contests from the comfort of your own home. The contests are offered by DraftKings and FanDuel.
3️⃣ What is legal sports betting age in Massachusetts?
The legal sports betting age in Massachusetts is 21 years old or older.
4️⃣ Are there any retail sportsbooks in MA?
For now, there are no retail sportsbooks. However, it is expected that existing gambling operators will receive betting licenses. These are MGM Springfield, Encore Boston Harbor, Plainridge Park Casino, Suffolk Downs and Raynham Parks.
5️⃣ Can I bet on MA college sports and teams?
Yes you can bet on in state college teams, but only during national tournaments. However, there are no limitations to wagering on out of state college sports.